First of all thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers over the last year. We have decided to create a blog to have an outlet for anyone who is interested in updates on Lances condition a place to come and be informed. The title of the blog "A future and a hope" comes from Jeremiah 29:11, which is a verse that has given our family alot of comfort through these challenging times. Because as my Dad has said, no matter what happens we have already won! I would encourage you to pass on the location of this site to anyone that you may believe would be interested in updates. -Justin



Saturday, March 26, 2011

Bone Marrow results

We went back to Iowa City on Friday and met with the Doctors to get the results of the last Bone Marrow test that I had 2 weeks ago. We were a little disappointed with the results but probably we had to high expectations since everything has been going so well. When we got the results of the fish test last week the hospital called and told us that they had found no Cancer in my blood so we felt really good about that, however when the Bone Marrow came back it showed some traces of Cancer but still in very small amounts. Much less than I had before the transplant. We had been told before that they wouldn't be able to kill all of it by transplant alone and that the new T-cells that I got through Nathans Stem Cells would kill the rest. But when we got the other reports we got our hopes up. At my last Bone Marrow Biopsy I had engrafted 92% of Nathans T-cells and at this Biopsy I only have 80% of Nathans T-cells. That doesn' t mean 20% of my cells are Cancerous just that 20% of the Cells are mine and in mine is where the Cancer grows so they want to get rid of them. And they don't like that it is going the other direction. Anyway the plan now is for me to have another Bone Marrow Biopsy in 2 weeks (they have to wait 1 month between tests) and then when they get those results back they will draw up a plan of action consisting of 2 choices. They will either cut back on my anti rejection drugs which are killing off Nathans Cells thus allowing me to get more Graf to host disease, but also will stop inhibiting his cell growth. ( I guess that is my cell growth now just easier to identify as his and mine) or they will put me back on some of the Cancer drugs that I was taking prior to Transplant. If I had a preferance I would choose choice 1 even though in that will probably make me sicker for a while, but that also could lead to complete recovery and no Cancer. The Doctors main concern is getting to much GVH can lead to other problems and its hard to get just the right balance, therefore they are following up on some studies that have been done in Germany and they will choose the best option. I am really not that worried as I have a lot of faith in my Dr. to make the right decision and things have gone along so well till now, I have every reason to believe it will stay that way. We would appreciate your prayers that the Doctors make the right decision or that at the next Biopsy they find out that things have reversed completely (prayers can do that). On Monday Penny and Elisabeth are heading to Cedar Falls to help out watching Dillan for Justin and Ashley as Ashley is scheduled for a C-section at 8:00 Tuesday morning we were looking forward to having Dillan at our house but the Drs. said we can not have anyone staying with us right now till after they get this other stuff in order. I will miss having her, I miss my Grandkids!! Ashleys parents are coming during part of the time and will be there during the delivery also and I know we are all very excited about the new arrival. Its time for dinner now and I don't miss dinner so will write again soon. Thanks for all your prayers and support. Lance

2 comments:

  1. lANCE- Thank you for the update. You all certainly still have our prayers through this LONG recovery period and this recent "setback".
    We will also be praying for the safe arrival of your new grandbaby :-)
    With Love from the Fairleys

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you will be missing seeing your new grandchild--as well as all your other grandchildren right now. That has to be really hard. Praying that your cells will diminish and Nathan's will take over before your next biopsy. You are so right...God can--and does--do miracles.

    ReplyDelete