First of all thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers over the last year. We have decided to create a blog to have an outlet for anyone who is interested in updates on Lances condition a place to come and be informed. The title of the blog "A future and a hope" comes from Jeremiah 29:11, which is a verse that has given our family alot of comfort through these challenging times. Because as my Dad has said, no matter what happens we have already won! I would encourage you to pass on the location of this site to anyone that you may believe would be interested in updates. -Justin

Tuesday, August 31, 2010


Yesterday, Monday we went back to Iowa City to see Dr. Jamieson and it seems that the infection they are so worried about is getting a lot better but not gone. So they are going to wait a while and see what happens. They received most of the results back from my last Bone Marrow Biopsy and it shows that the new drugs I'm on are just kind of holding things in place. They were hoping to see a drop in my Leukemia but at this point that is not happening, on the bright side it is not really getting worse either. I have now been on Dasatinab for 4 months and the rule is 6 months before they rule it as a failure, and since they have to wait another month due to the infection they are going to wait the full 6 months before rescheduling a transplant ( which is actually 2 more months from now so either late Octorber or early November before they make anymore decisions ). My Drs. said that they are 90% sure the drug won't work, but as long as there is a chance, and we will be so close anyway they think it would be wise to just wait. I will go in weekly so they can monitor my blood, they seem comfortable that nothing should get away from them in a week so it will be safe to wait. Dr. Jamison said they would need to see a miraculous amount of change for me to not need a transplant but we know Miracles can and do happen so if thats Gods will it will, Thanks for caring we continue to thank God for his Love and find comfort in knowing it is all in his hands.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

New Groupie???

Well last night Lance went to his first Ten Avenue North concert. I think that secretly while he was teasing Elisabeth about being a groupie, that he really wanted to go! There was a free concert and Lance REALLY wanted to do something special for and with Elisabeth before he went into the hospital, it was a great night. We picked up Elisabeth's friend Christina to go with, then stopped to see Justin, Ashley and Dillan on our way and had so much fun seeing them and just watching Dillan. She is a show herself!! We visited and they made us a delicious lunch and Lance and Dillan got a nap before we left for the concert.

Tomorrow we head to Iowa City for an appointment and to get all the bone marrow test results. Thank you all for your love, prayers and support. God is faithful!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Transplant delayed.

Hi- Just a quick update I went to Iowa City today and met with Dr. Jamison and she decided that we need to postpone my transplant most likely for at least a month. I have a fungal infection that is quite common among Leukemia patients and it is just not responding very fast to the drugs that I have been on. They switched the drug two weeks ago and it looks like the new drug is working but it has a way to go before it will be safe to do the transplant. Dr. Jamison said that the leading cause of death during transplant is from this infection because once they kill my immune system it will just take over, they can't put me on some of the drugs they normally use because they interact badly with the medicine I take to keep my cancer in check so the best option right now is just to stay the course with the drug I am currently on. After that discussion she had me go in for a Bone Marrow biopsy just to see where the Leukemia is, it will take 7-10 days for the results of that test. Should it come back that I am showing too many blast cells or that the Leukemia is growing too fast, then they will go to transplant regardless because at that point it will be less risky than waiting. All in all she says it is not uncommon for this to happen and for delays to take place. I am grateful that they are so careful but a little disappointed at the same time we are ready to move on. Dr. Jamison said that I have had a very uncommon case from day one Penny says thats because I want to win at everything even being uncommon.
Elisabeth spent the day today at Devils Lake in Wisconsin hiking and swimming with the girls on the swim team, she had a really good day lots of fun. One good thing about all the delays in my treatments are she is about to start her senior season and I thought I would miss all her meets, I should be able to see quite a few now and am excited about that. Thanks to everyone for all your thoughts and prayers I really appreciate the support.

Sunday, August 15, 2010


We had a fun morning today. Elisabeth was in a Triathalon she swam a 400, biked 12 miles and ran a 5k she did really well came in 4th place in her age group. Most of the Varsity girls from her swim team participated it was open to all the kids in the city and families. We attached a few pictures below, Penny also wrote under the pictures about tomorrow.

Got a call from Iowa City this week, they will wait to make any decisions concerning Lance's medicines and the timing of the transplant till after they get the results from his bone marrow biopsy which he has tomorrow. Don't know how long it will take to get the final results on that. He was suppose to go off his cancer medicine tomorrow in order to be ready to start the chemo for the transplant on Sept. 2, so we'll see what they decide...... Please pray for us tomorrow as we travel, that they give Lance LOTS of good drugs for the biopsy( it is not a fun thing to have done), wisdom for the doctors, and a clear calm mind for me so I can ask the right questions and remember all the details! It can get a bit overwhelming at times.....

Friday, August 6, 2010

Trusting God's timing

Quick update, Lance went to Iowa City yesterday to meet with the dermatologist. His rashes are getting worse again after pretty much clearing up a few weeks ago. Anyway he has become resistent to the drugs so they are not working anymore. His last blood work a week ago also showed that his infection fighting cells in his blood are really low again....... The doctors are trying to figure out what to do because of all the reactions between the drugs he is on and not wanting to delay the transplant anymore, but not wanting to put him at higher risk than necessary. Please pray for wisdom for all the doctors and for protection and healing for Lance. The meds. he is on are all hard on the liver, and can bring down his blood counts along with some other things but are also needed to fight the cancer and infections.......

Yesterday kind of felt like we were back at square one again, but even though we don't understand all the up and downs, the starts, stops, and waits.... Trusting that God does! Thank you all for praying! -----Penny