First of all thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers over the last year. We have decided to create a blog to have an outlet for anyone who is interested in updates on Lances condition a place to come and be informed. The title of the blog "A future and a hope" comes from Jeremiah 29:11, which is a verse that has given our family alot of comfort through these challenging times. Because as my Dad has said, no matter what happens we have already won! I would encourage you to pass on the location of this site to anyone that you may believe would be interested in updates. -Justin



Monday, August 16, 2010

Transplant delayed.

Hi- Just a quick update I went to Iowa City today and met with Dr. Jamison and she decided that we need to postpone my transplant most likely for at least a month. I have a fungal infection that is quite common among Leukemia patients and it is just not responding very fast to the drugs that I have been on. They switched the drug two weeks ago and it looks like the new drug is working but it has a way to go before it will be safe to do the transplant. Dr. Jamison said that the leading cause of death during transplant is from this infection because once they kill my immune system it will just take over, they can't put me on some of the drugs they normally use because they interact badly with the medicine I take to keep my cancer in check so the best option right now is just to stay the course with the drug I am currently on. After that discussion she had me go in for a Bone Marrow biopsy just to see where the Leukemia is, it will take 7-10 days for the results of that test. Should it come back that I am showing too many blast cells or that the Leukemia is growing too fast, then they will go to transplant regardless because at that point it will be less risky than waiting. All in all she says it is not uncommon for this to happen and for delays to take place. I am grateful that they are so careful but a little disappointed at the same time we are ready to move on. Dr. Jamison said that I have had a very uncommon case from day one Penny says thats because I want to win at everything even being uncommon.
Elisabeth spent the day today at Devils Lake in Wisconsin hiking and swimming with the girls on the swim team, she had a really good day lots of fun. One good thing about all the delays in my treatments are she is about to start her senior season and I thought I would miss all her meets, I should be able to see quite a few now and am excited about that. Thanks to everyone for all your thoughts and prayers I really appreciate the support.
Lance

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about the delay--although thankful that they are so careful. Continuing to pray for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lance and Penny,

    We know you were ready to move on to the transplant so the delay must be overwhelming. As usual you are looking at the positives! That is so encouraging to others, and again shows your Trust and Faith that continues to be such an AMAZING witness to all!

    Elisabeth, the BEST to you in your senior season!!

    Continuing to pray for healing, strength, and wisdom!

    We Love You All!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You
    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete