First of all thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers over the last year. We have decided to create a blog to have an outlet for anyone who is interested in updates on Lances condition a place to come and be informed. The title of the blog "A future and a hope" comes from Jeremiah 29:11, which is a verse that has given our family alot of comfort through these challenging times. Because as my Dad has said, no matter what happens we have already won! I would encourage you to pass on the location of this site to anyone that you may believe would be interested in updates. -Justin



Thursday, December 16, 2010

Thursday

Just another day here for me. We met with the Doctors today and there is a chance that I can get rid of my IV Pole tomorrow they want to start switching my medications to oral in preperation for going home , and they need a few days to make sure that works out. Dr. Gingrich who is the director here in the bone marrow unit and just a super guy, has taken over for the next two weeks on the unit the Doctors rotate. He talked to us a long time today about what to expect from here on out. Basically he said I am doing very well and that I am pretty much through the part where they talk most about mortality, but he reminded us there could be some rough times ahead. Felt like he was trying to bring us down to earth a little bit as we are so excited to get to go home but most people do end up back in the hospital sometime over the next several months or so. Don't think he was trying to discourage us just wanted to remind us it will be ok but it is still a long road ahead. He said generally I will feel pretty good for next couple of weeks and then after that is when Graph Versus Host Disease (GVH) will probably set in to some degree (it can be mild to very severe to life threating) . That in his words is basically a crap shoot as far as what I will get and how bad I'll get it, That will be when I need to stay in touch with the hospital very closely and keep them posted as to what is going on with me. I will need to come back to Iowa City once or twice a week (or more) for the next twelve weeks while they monitor my blood closely. I feel very good about what will happen to me. There have been way to many good things and miracles through this whole process for me to not believe I will be fine in time. Nathan went over to the house the other night and started some work on our showers. And Cory has been working the last several nights finishing that up and cleaning and getting everything ready at our house for me to come home . Thanks Guys. Rex and Linda came and took Penny and Elisabeth out for dinner tonight and it was a welcome break for them. Its late I'll post again tomorrow. Thanks again to everyone.
Lance

2 comments:

  1. So great to hear that you are doing so well. We will be praying for the GVH to be MILD. I know you are so excited to be going home and we are rejoicing with you. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great weekend!! We will keep checking the blog as we travel south--to more cold weather. Love, Nancy, for us all

    ReplyDelete